Friday, April 15, 2011

Making.

Sometimes (actually often) I feel like work is just one constant to-do list. Constantly juggling a gazillion different little tasks that I try to write down but some just keep slipping through the cracks and then I remember them again and forget them again and remember them again with a start at 5am.... and repeat.

So on the weekends often my brain just feels numb. Inspiration to be creative is just not on the radar. Don't be fooled, 95% of the time I'm not a textile designer. I'm a small business owner.

Anyway, something clicked last week when I somehow, briefly felt on top of things, and - god forbid - I actually felt like making stuff.

And make I did.

For ages I'd been meaning to make a table runner so I raided the scraps box and whipped this up in a couple of hours after the work day finished.


Patchwork table runner

Sure a patchwork table runner isn't the most original of concepts (Cloth do them, I know) but it is just such a great way to use up odds and ends.


Patchwork table runner

The next evening I made a draft snake, also using fabrics from the scrap box. I'd noticed a whopping big gap under Jon's front door, which does not sit well with a cold frog like me. I told him he needed a draft snake, he had no idea what I was talking about.


patchwork draft snake

The next night I started my third project, but hey, I'm not going to waste the opportunity and am going to write about that in another post ;)

xx

12 comments:

moose and bird said...

These are both lovely projects. Don't you just love the feeling of being creative??? Have fun x

Anonymous said...

A draft snake is on my to-do list before it gets cold. What did you fill your snake with? I've read some people using sand but I'm not sure about that.....

Fer said...

That's the prettiest draft snake (we used to call them a sausage!) I've ever seen. Oh to have your scrap box!

Frankie and Ray said...

Lovely! My very first product was a 'door sausage', I still feel quite sentimental about making them... yours looks fantastic.

Margaret said...

Don't you love it when you get a few moments to yourself and create a masterpiece! Very cute pieces.

Rosalind said...

I think you might possibly have one of the most envious scrap boxes of fabric known to woman kind! ha ha great job

Unknown said...

I agree with Rosalind about the scrap box :) Table Runner is lovely - amazing what you can do with 'scraps'. Hope you find more time and head space for the creativity as it's very rewarding to make new things.

Tali said...

haha, aren't you smart! doesn't your man know about the most common snake found in Melbourne? ;)

Juicy Roo said...

Hey Larz lovely work! I'm asking Lisa's question too: what did you fill your snake with? I've heard about people using rice! But you wouldn't want it to get wet!! xo

gret said...

Love that draft snake! Gorgeous, I have the same question - Did you use sand or something else?

Pingos do Céu said...

I liked the combinations that you did!

bethrecordcollector said...

I like the table runner.

Beth

bethsquilts.blogspot.com